8 Things I Learned In 8 Days As A Rochester Blonde
It ain't easy being a blonde in Rochester ...or is it?
I asked myself that question as my "eighth day" as a "blonde" in the area. In case you missed it, last week I went through a pretty drastic hair change.
Do I like my new hair? YES. SO MUCH. Does wearing it make my life any different? Actually, it kinda did in some ways.
Here are eight things I've learned in eight days as a new blonde in Rochester.
- People are just as friendly. It doesn't matter what your hair color is, people in Rochester still pretty much treat blondes the same as any other hair color. I might get a few more doors opened for me, but that (I think) has more to do with dressing more like a lady than my usual t-shirts and jeans, which I've done lately.
- You fit in easier. It's a fact: we have more folks of German, Norwegian and Swedish ancestry than we do of my Italian - so... there's just more people with light hair here and I might "blend in" a little easier now.
- COMPLIMENTS EVERYWHERE. You guys have seriously been very sweet to me saying you love my new look! Thank you!
- A "middle part" is best. At least that seemed to be something you guys mentioned a lot. You like my hair parted in the middle better. Maybe you do in general as well?
- I don't get the "goth" label as much. Hallelujah!!! Have I overcome this finally!??? My dark hair was NATURAL! I COULDN'T HELP IT!
- I feel "trendier" and not stuck in 2006. Long layers are cute (probably always classic too), but balayage (the technique used to create my color) is very 2018.
- Purple shampoo is your friend. My color hasn't changed much, and I think the shampoo I'm using it protecting it! Here's what I mean by "purple shampoo". This shampoo actually costs LESS than what I used to spend.
- People smile at me more. I was half kidding about the "goth" thing, but sometimes I think that label (and look) intimidated people even if it was natural. Now, I'm noticing I get more smiles faster.
Overall, I'm still very happy with my new cut and color. I encourage you guys to experiment too if you're thinking about it!
Listen to Val afternoons from 2p to 6p on Quick Country 96.5.
Listen to Val from 10a to 2p on 107.7 Z-Rock.