Storm Spotter Training Coming To Fillmore County
The National Weather Service has annouced that a Storm Spotter Training Course will take place in Fillmore County next month.
March is right around the corner, and with that comes annual Stor Spotter Training Courses around the area. Those who are interested in the event can join in on the class March 4th in Chatfield at the Chatfield Elementary School.
Here is an outline of the course from last year:
- Introduction to Storm Spotting
- Information about NWS La Crosse
- The Spotting Process
- Sources of weather information
- NWS Information / Outlooks
- Spotter deployment
- Spotting locations
- Stages of the thunderstorm (updraft/downdrafts)
- Thunderstorm Hazards (Flooding, Lightning, Hail)
- Thunderstorm Wind
- Squall Lines / Shelf Clouds (updated!)
- Elements of the Supercell
- Wall Clouds
- Tornado definitions and examples
- Funnel clouds
- Challenges to spotters
- Spotter reporting procedures/guidelines
- Spotter safety
Those interested in the course can get more information from the National Weather Service HERE.